Mountain Country

Mountain Country
My own Art

Monday, October 11, 2010

Senior citizens brace for Social Security freeze

The government is expected to announce this week that more than 58 million Social Security recipients will go through a second straight year without an increase in monthly benefits. This year was the first without an increase since automatic adjustments for inflation started in 1975.

"I think it's disgusting," said Paul McNeil, 69, a retired state worker from Warwick, R.I., who said his food and utility costs have gone up, but his income has not. He lamented decisions by lawmakers that he said do not favor seniors.



 Rivkah says:
Even my rent went up ! Now I wonder if I will have heat or food this winter. I always put food last on my list when paying bills. Heat comes in second to last. Sigh ......  Can I get food stamps or go to a Food Bank? No, They say just those on disability payments can get help there. Wow, their monthly amount is so low , they all must be homeless now!!!!!! 

I know when I was injuried my young son found a part time job. He had $10.00 a week left over and he shared $5.00 of it with me. It was interesting to see us with College Students looking over the cheapest buys at the stores. They bought a lot of boxed noodle soup. I bought a lot of rice and tea:)

I would try to find work I could do but even sitting  my body would freeze up from the pain. The body tried to stop me from hurting myself, so would go stiff as a board. It was like I was acting in trying to move any part of my body. The bosses would stare with disbelief and then fire me, saying you can't do this work!!

I sold everything of value to pay rent, even my wedding rings. My son felt so bad about that! He wanted to get them back but I said 'No ! ' As we would just have to do it again the next month, plus paying extra to get them back each time.

So it was a few years before I was old enough where I could draw on my, who had past of cancer, husband's Military Air Force SS. Income. He had said when our son was born, ' Our son is taking my place, as I will not be here to take care of you.' Wow, how true that was during that time! 

Thank You both!